Considering Under Cabinet LightingAugust 30, 2017
One of the most under-considered aspects of a kitchen cabinet remodel is that of lighting. If you can’t see clearly under your new cabinets it makes cooking a big chore. But there’s an easy solution. LED under cabinet lighting is energy efficient and can be easily installed to give your kitchen – or any other room – a great look.
Today’s homeowner wants to use as much of their kitchen as possible. Having well-lit areas to prepare food and perform specific tasks is important. Under cabinet LED lighting can illuminate these task areas and make it easier to prepare meals or read the recipe without having to go into another area of the kitchen in order to see. This helps to ensure that there are fewer areas of shadow that even most overhead lighting can’t eliminate since there is nothing between you and the task area you are working in.
Under cabinet lighting can dramatically update the look of your new or existing kitchen cabinets, especially when you are trying to sell your home. Under cabinet lighting, especially in kitchen spaces, will increase the feeling of spaciousness in the room and can shine a light on important features or decorative objects that you want to bring attention to.
It’s not very expensive, either. Over the past few years, LED lighting has come down in price. And there are several installation options, like LED light strips, LED lighting tape, or LED pucks. Each form of LED lighting comes in a variety of colors and configurations and can be found at any home improvement or hardware store.
One of the best things about this type of lighting is that it is easy to install. You don’t even have to hire an electrician. Some under cabinet light options will simply plug into a nearby outlet while others may even have a battery pack that houses either standard or rechargeable batteries. Whatever option you end up choosing for your home really depends on personal preference.
Here are some other places to put LED lighting that you might not have thought of.
- Around the perimeter of the kitchen in the kick space underneath lower kitchen cabinets. Some LED configurations also have motion detectors so that they come on whenever someone is making their way into space.
- Install under cabinet lights under the vanity to serve as a night light for late night trips to the bathroom.
- Run a strip of LED lights along the banister or under each step on a stairway in order to make it easy to see. This will not only add dramatic highlights but can also serve as a safety feature.
- LED lights on top of kitchen cabinets can add additional indirect light or can be used to bring attention to collectibles above your cabinets.
- A puck or strip LED can be used to highlight a piece of artwork such as a painting, mosaic, or sculpture.
If you are building a new home or doing a kitchen remodel, you may want to consider discussing under cabinet lighting with your cabinet contractor. They can recommend lighting configurations to highlight areas where the light will be needed the most. Also, if you are uncomfortable installing under cabinet lighting yourself, or have needs that are a little more complex, your contractor can also refer you to a professional electrician. An electrician will be able to install your lighting according to local building codes and help make sure that the light is focused right where you want it.